Recipe - Festive Gingerbread


As the festive season is fully upon us now, I thought that I would share my gingerbread recipe, that I love to make during this time of year. 
They are great just as a snack, or even as a gift for your friends & family, if you don't have a lot of money to buy presents. This recipe made about 84 biscuits for me, but my cutters are quite small. So how many you make, depends on how big your cutters are. I have festive shaped ones, but you can use any shape you want, and you can decorate them with whatever you want too. 
I hope you like them, as much as I do!

Ingredients

Writing Icing & Other Baking Decorations (1/2/3)

Method 


1 - In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon. Add the butter and rub together until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar. 

2 - In another mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix until the mixture clumps together. 

3 - Tip the mixture onto a flat surface, and knead briefly until smooth and dough-like. Wrap in clingfilm, and leave to chill in the fridge, for 15 minutes.




4 - Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4, once the dough has finished chilling. Also line 2/3 baking trays with greaseproof paper. 

5 - Lightly flour your flat surface and rolling pin. Then, roll your dough out to a 0.5cm thickness. Using cutters, cut out your shapes and place them on the baking sheets, leaving a gap between them. The size of your cutters will give you an estimation of how many gingerbreads this recipe will make. Mine were quite small, so I ended up with 84 biscuits. 

6 - Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. 

7 - Transfer them to a wire rack to cool down. Once cool, you can start decorating! 
Make sure the icing is completely set before storing them in a tin. 









8 - (Optional) I am planning on giving a few of this as a small gift this Christmas, so here is how I wrapped them. I purchased some festive cellophane wrap and created a little parcel with about 8 gingerbreads inside. I then used a little bit of ribbon for a festive touch. You could also add a tag, if you wanted to.



And that is my gingerbread recipe! 

I hope you guys try this recipe, and if you do, please let me know!

Shannon
xxx

You May Also Like

0 comments