My London Weekend, ft A review of the Alexander McQueen exhibition at the V&A.


As a present for my mum's birthday (and because I wanted to go to the Alexander McQueen exhibition), I treated us both to a trip to London. We left very early on Saturday morning, and came back early evening on Sunday. We managed to fit in shopping, trip to the V&A and browsing the streets of Kensington/Chelsea area. 


Traveling outfit at 6:30am
 We travelled to London, and back, via coach, and walked everywhere all weekend, as the weather was beautiful & sunny. I have a full packing blog post, so you can see what I took with me.

Arrived in london at 10:30am. We dropped our bags off at the hotel first, then we went into Kensington for breakfast and shopping, as we were waiting for our room to be ready.

Who wouldn't want to live on a street like this? 

Our hotel room at The Queen's Gate Hotel.
 Our hotel room was amazing. It was really big, full of light from the french door-style windows. The room came with a TV, bath, shower, hairdryer, kettle, iron and three single beds (even though I only booked a twin room). My favourite thing about the hotel room was the large full-length mirror. You just can't beat a good mirror for outfit photos! The room was clean and had everything inside it that we were expecting. The staff were friendly and helpful too. I would definitely stay there again.

Outfit change before the V&A/Alexander McQueen Exhibition and dinner.

Victoria and Albert Museum.


Images from the V&A. I wasn't allowed to take images inside the McQueen Exhibition.
The V&A was just as amazing as I thought it would be. We spent a couple of hours browsing the different sections, going to the V&A shop and sitting in the John Madejski Garden, waiting for the 6:15pm slot for the Alexander McQueen Exhibition. 

Dinner at Pizza Express after the McQueen exhibition.

Purchases from the V&A shop.
 The Alexander McQueen - Savage Beauty exhibition was incredible. I remember the exact date/time/place I was when I heard that McQueen died, and I remember falling to the floor in tears. I knew at that precise moment, that the world had lost someone special, a creative genius. I felt the same way when I walked into the exhibition. Walking into the first section/room and hearing his voice echoing around, created tears in my eyes. You walk in and it feels eery, but magical at the same time.

When you study fashion or when you are just a big McQueen fan, you are always looking at images of his work and are amazed by his creative talent. It is so much more apparent when you see the garments/collections in real life. You can't help but stare at the garments, wondering how he made it or how he even came up with the ideas for each collection.

Going from section to section throughout the exhibition, you think to yourself that the next section can't get any better than the one you have just scene. Wrong! It's like a timeline of his work, with each section transporting you into another section of his incredible mind. To me, it felt like he had put this show together, as each section was a mini-show in itself. You got to see inside of his creative brain, with not only his garments/accessories, but with parts from his catwalk shows, such as the Kate Moss hologram.

Each room had its own lighting and music, which helped to create the relevent mood to the collection in the room. My personal favourite room is the one which is packed full of garments/accessories/videos/millinery, all over each wall, from floor to ceiling. You have to spend the majority of your time in this room, as there is so much to take in. I spent ages inside this room, as I just didn't want to miss a thing!

One thing I would say is take your time, but move along with the crowd. You don't want to rush, but you don't want to move too slow, as there will be a big crowd, in front of you and behind you. Also, take the time to read the quotes/notes on the walls and stands next to each garment. They are apart of the experience too.
I would 100% recommend that you go to visit this exhibition whilst you still have a chance. It's a must-see and so inspiring for creative people.
It is open until August 2nd 2015, with the final weekend being open 24 hours.

Cannot wait to frame this print for my room.

Sunday outfit. Time to browse and then travel home.
After the V&A and dinner, we just went back to the hotel, relaxed and went to sleep. The next morning, we checked out of the hotel at 11:30am, and decided to browse around London until our coach home at 5:30pm. We did have our weekend case with us, but it wasn't too bad to wheel along with us. We ended up browsing the designer stores, and then going to Victoria Palace shopping centre, as it was close to the coach station. We had food at the Frankie & Bennys inside there, before getting our coach home.
Can't beat a bit of designer window-shopping. 
Overall, we had a lovely weekend. I spent far too much, but I just couldn't stop myself in the Kensington shops and in the V&A shop! I can't wait for my next trip to London, where I hopefully will get to go to Oxford Street to shop. 

Have any of you been to the Alexander McQueen exhibition?

Shannon
xxx

You May Also Like

0 comments